When it comes time for a new roof, many homeowners try to take on the task themselves. After all, it can’t be that hard, can it?
Well, unless you’re experienced in roofing, the answer is most likely no. That’s because there are a lot of things that go into putting on a new roof- from making sure the roofing materials are properly installed to ensuring that the ventilation is up to code.
In fact, according to the National Roofing Contractors Association, “amateur installations are the leading cause of premature roof failure.”
So, if you’re in need of a new roof, be sure to hire a professional roofing company to avoid any of the following issues:
1. Improper Installation
One of the most common problems with amateur roof installation is that it simply isn’t done correctly. In order to ensure your roof will withstand severe weather conditions and last for years to come, it’s important that all roofing materials are installed properly.
This includes making sure the underlayment is properly installed, flashings are placed correctly around chimneys and skylights, and shingles are trimmed correctly.
2. Poor Ventilation
Another common problem with roofs installed by non-professionals is poor ventilation. In order to keep your home’s attic cool and dry (which helps to extend the life of your roof), it’s important that there is a proper balance of intake and exhaust vents.
If your roof isn’t properly ventilated, it can lead to a number of problems, including
- Ice dams: When heat escapes from your home and melts the snow on your roof, the water can run down to the edge of your roof, where it refreezes, forming an ice dam. This can cause shingles to loosen and eventually lead to leaks.
- Shingle problems: Excess heat and moisture can also cause shingles to warp, curl, or crack.
- Premature deterioration: All of the excess heat and moisture can also lead to the premature deterioration of your roof.
- Attic condensation and mould: Poor ventilation can also cause condensation and mold to form in your attic.
3. Inadequate Insulation
If you’re not experienced in roofing, chances are you don’t know how to properly insulate your home’s attic. This can lead to a number of problems, including:
- Excess heat loss in the winter: If your attic isn’t properly insulated, heat can escape from your home, leading to higher energy bills.
- Excess heat gains in the summer: Inadequate insulation can also cause your home to get too hot in the summer, putting unnecessary strain on your air conditioning unit.
One of the most common problems with roofs is leaks. If your roof isn’t installed properly, it’s more likely to develop leaks.
Leaks can cause a number of problems, including water damage to your home’s interior, the growth of mould and mildew, and the deterioration of structural elements.
5. Animal Infestation
Another problem that can occur if your roof isn’t installed properly is animal infestation. If there are any gaps or openings in your roof, animals can easily get inside and make themselves at home.
Once they’re in, they can cause a number of problems, including:
- Chewing on wiring: Animals like to chew on things, and that includes the wiring in your home. This can lead to shorts and even fires.
- Scratching up insulation: Animals can also scratch up the insulation in your attic, making it less effective.
- Leaving droppings everywhere: Animal droppings can carry diseases and contaminate your home.
6. Damage to Gutters and Drainpipes
If your roof isn’t installed properly, it can also put a strain on your gutters and drainpipes. This can lead to a number of problems, including:
- Clogged gutters: If your gutters are constantly getting clogged with debris, it can lead to overflows and eventually damage to your home’s foundation.
- Damaged drainpipes: If your drainpipes are constantly getting clogged, it can put a strain on them and eventually cause them to break.
7. Poor Workmanship
When you hire a professional roofing company in Kildare, you can be sure that the work will be done properly. Non-professional roofers often cut corners to save time and money, which can lead to a number of problems, including:
- Leaks: If corners are cut during the installation process, it’s more likely that your roof will develop leaks and will be in need of a roof repair Dublin service.
- Poor ventilation: Poorly installed roofs often don’t have proper ventilation, which can lead to a number of problems (see above).
- Inadequate insulation: Inadequate insulation is another common problem with roofs that have been poorly installed.
8. Safety hazards
Another reason to hire a professional roofing company is for safety reasons. Roofing can be a dangerous job, and if you’re not experienced, you could end up getting seriously injured.
In addition, if you don’t know what you’re doing, you could end up causing damage to your home or even making the problem worse.
9. It’s cheaper in the long run
While it may seem like hiring a professional roofing company is more expensive than doing it yourself, in the long run, it’s actually cheaper.
This is because professional roofers will be able to do the job quickly and efficiently, which will save you time and money. In addition, if they do a good job, it will save you money in the long run by preventing problems like leaks and animal infestation.
Hiring a professional roofing company is the best way to ensure that your roof is installed properly and that the job is done safely.
Looking to Hire A Professional Fascia & Soffit Replacement and Roofer in Dublin?
If you’re looking for a professional roofing company in Dublin, Roofpro is the company for you. We have over 20 years of experience in the Dublin roofing industry, and we’re dedicated to providing our customers with quality South Dublin roofing services at affordable prices. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Follow Home Inside for more!